Do you live in a home that no longer fits your lifestyle? Many homeowners in NE Florida find the home they have lived in for years no longer meets their needs. In the past, a homeowner might have put their home up for sale and searched for a home that fit their lifestyle. However, with many homes having lost their values and many mortgages underwater it may make more sense to remodel or repurpose your existing home.
How to plan your remodeling project:
· Determine your new needs. A larger Family gathering space? More Entertaining space? New in-law or guest suite? Home office?
· Talk with a qualified contractor at an early stage. A qualified contractor will:
1. Assess your current space and suggest whether an addition or a repurposing of your space will meet your needs. Sometimes removing
walls and redefining an area will give you the space you want without the cost of an addition.
2. Connect you with a home designer. One may be available with your contractor. Designers are generally very affordable and can give ideas on how to save money, space and energy. Staying in the envelope of
your existing structure is the most affordable way to remodel
3. Suggest materials for use in your project that will give a feeling of expanded space while increasing the value of your home. The correct
materials are determined by how the space will be used. Quality materials budgeted from the start will give you years of enjoyment of
your new space.
4. Suggest green products for your project to help you save energy and money over time.
5. Give you an idea of the total cost of the remodeling project. A qualified
contractor will help you match your expectations with your pocketbook.
6. You will need to contact your financial institution to see how you
qualify for mortgage financing. Getting financial details worked out upfront will help you avoid re financing complexities. Some Construction companies can suggest a lender that they work with
on remodeling projects.
Information provided by: Poli Construction