Sometimes, especially in older homes, wiring can become loose, melt or may have been installed incorrectly. For example, you or a previous owner may have tried to repair your electrical wiring when it would have been preferable to have a professional do the job.
You have a grounding problem if you open the outlet panel and a black (hot) wire is touching a:
- white (neutral) wire
- bare copper wire
- different black wire
- outlet box
If you are inspecting your home's wiring, it's important to also check for any damaged or melted wires. Note if you smell any burning odors close to the outlet box.