Consumer Reports names top pick cars for 2014
Magazine names the electric Tesla Model S 'Best Overall'
Consumer Reports has released its Top Pick cars for 2014.
To find the best of the best, Consumer Reports tested more than 260 cars, drove hundreds of thousands of miles and put them through over 50 tests. A top pick must also perform well in government and industry crash tests and it has to be reliable.
- This year’s top pickup truck is the Ram 1500. The new redesign makes this powerful truck feel like a luxury vehicle.
- The Subaru Forester is Top Pick for small SUV. It has the best fuel economy in its class, easy to use controls and a very roomy back seat.
- If you need more room the Hyundai Santa Fe is the Top Pick Midsized SUV. The redesign brought even more room and comfort to an already competitive vehicle.
- The Honda Accord four-cylinder is the Top Pick mid-sized sedan. Reasonably priced at about $23,000, it’s really nice to drive and gets 30 miles per gallon overall.
- The Top Pick compact car is the Subaru Impreza.
- The Top Pick luxury car is the Audi A6.
- The Top Pick green car is the Toyota Prius.
- The Top Pick minivan is the Honda Odyssey.
- And this year’s Top Pick of the Top Picks, the best car overall, is the electric Tesla Model S. It handles beautifully, is loaded with the latest electronic innovations and it gets the equivalent of 84 miles per gallon.
All Consumer Reports material copyright 2014 by Consumers Union of U.S. Inc. All rights reserved. Consumer Reports is published by Consumers Union. Both Consumer Reports and Consumers Union are not-for-profit organizations that accept no advertising. Neither has any commercial relationship with any advertiser or sponsor on this site.