Your roof is your home's number one defense against the elements. No part plays a bigger role in keeping the elements out, so when a roof requires a repair, there's little time to waste.
Why it's important: A leaking roof can cause serious damage to your home. Failing to address leaks right away can significantly raise the cost of roofing repair. That is because once the water breaks through the roof and gets into the house, it can cause damage to sheathing, rafters and ceilings.
Angie's List asked highly rated roofing companies to for insight into roof leaks.
4 Signs to look for:
You can avoid potential damage from the elements by regularly inspecting your roof, especially following a storm. Be on the lookout for the following signs:
- Curled shingles on the edges of roll roofing.
- Broken shingles or sections of roll roofing that are missing.
- Damaged or missing flashing around the edges of the roof or around objects protruding from the roof.
- Area where water collects in puddles.
"Keep in mind when hiring a roofing contractor you want to have a reputable company, someone who is going to stand behind it. Your roof will last a long time so you don't want someone working on it who is not going to be able to stand behind their work so if you find after a storm someone coming door-to-door say no. Go do your research and hire a company on your own," said Angie Hicks, Founder of Angie's List.
Angie's List Tips: Hiring a roofing contractor
- Be patient: Though your situation might seem to be one of desperation, avoid settling on the first contractor who comes along and offers to do the job.
- Avoid out-of-town storm chasers: These roofers travel around the country following the paths of storms looking for homeowners in dire need of repair.
- Are you legit? Ask to see proof of insurance and check the roofer's license with your local building department or licensing agent. If the company only lists a post office box, it's a red flag. Ask for a list of previous customers and visit the work sites to make sure the references are legit.
- Read the contract before signing: The contract should include such items as payment terms, type of materials used, provisions for change orders and a termination clause.
Copyright 2013 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.