Pet insurance company Petplan sees 25 percent more claims during Halloween -- more than any other week in the year.
Swallowed wrappers and lollipop sticks can cause blockages that might not be noticed for days.
The darker the chocolate, the deadlier it is to your pet, according to Dr. Ron DeHaven with the American Veterinary Association.
"When kids come home after a night of trick or treating and dump their bag of candy, be sure that your pets are safely away in another room away from your kid's loot," DeHaven said. Store it somewhere where your pet can't get to it.
If pets do get hold of chocolate, call your vet immediately. The ASPCA has a poison hot line, too: 888-426-4435.