When she reached for the snack at camp, she didn't know that it was made with peanut butter. For about 20 minutes, she felt fine, but then she started vomiting, had difficulty breathing and went into cardiac arrest.
An ambulance took her to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Her family told KXTV that Natalie had aspirations of becoming a neonatologist so that she could care for premature babies, such as herself and her twin sister.
"While our hearts are breaking over the tragic loss of our beautiful daughter Natalie, it is our hope that others can learn from this and realize that nut and food allergies are life threatening," Natalie's family said in a written statement to KXTV. "Caution and care for those inflicted should always be supported and taken."
Follow Elizabeth Landau on Twitter and Google+