Wolfson Children's Hospital ranks among best
Wolfson Children's Hospital has been ranked in six out of 10 categories in this year's U.S. News Media Group's Best Children's Hospitals rankings.
The six categories include eight pediatric medical and surgical subspecialities. This year's rankings are double the number of categories the hospital ranked in last year. Wolfson Children's Hospital first earned designation in 2007.
It ranked among the top children's hospitals in the nation for:
- Diabetes and endocrinology (recognized for the third year in a row)
- Urology (recognized for the second year)
- Neurology and neurosurgery (recognized for the second year)
- Cardiology and heart surgery
"Wolfson Children's Hospital deserves high praise for its accomplishments," said Health Rankings Editor Avery Comarow. "Wolfson Children's Hospital has a reservoir of dedication and expertise that helps the sickest kids. Our goal at U.S. News is to identify and call attention to pediatric centers like this one."
This year, U.S. News surveyed 178 pediatric centers to obtain hard data such as availability of key resources and ability to prevent complications and infections. The hospital survey made up 75 percent of the rankings score. A separate reputational survey in which 1,500 pediatric specialists --150 in each specialty -- were asked where they would send the sickest children in their specialty made up the remaining 25 percent.
"U.S. News & World Report changed the way it rated children's hospitals this year, with a much greater focus on the scope of each hospital's services and the volume of patients, but most importantly, care-related quality indicators and outstanding clinical outcomes," said Michael D. Aubin, president of Wolfson Children's Hospital. "We are very pleased that the outstanding care provided by the physicians, nurses and staff with Wolfson Children's Hospital and our pediatric partners -- Nemours Children's Clinic, Jacksonville, the University of Florida College of Medicine-Jacksonville and Mayo Clinic Florida - is being recognized nationally once again."
The full rankings and methodology are available at www.usnews.com/childrenshospitals. The rankings will also be published in the U.S. News Best Hospitals 2013 guidebook, which will be available in August.
Copyright 2012 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.