(NewsUSA) - Today, many couples are experiencing what is known as the "sexless marriage," or a marriage in which a couple has sex only a few times each year. But what many of these couples fail to realize is that they are missing out on the benefits that sex provides, not only for reasons of emotional intimacy, but also for its physical benefits.
Sexless marriages are neither normal nor inevitable. Setting aside time for intimacy works for some couples, while others find help from all-natural sex aids. But if you are looking for additional motivation in the bedroom, simply recall the benefits a healthy sex life can provide that will keep you feeling youthful, longer:
- Weight control. Sex can burn 84 calories in 30 minutes, while also improving heart and muscle strength, flexibility and muscle tone. Having regular sex can be used as a tool for couples who are looking to shed pounds or maintain a healthy weight.
- Pain relief. Before popping another aspirin, think about hopping into bed. Sex naturally releases endorphins and corticosteroids, which can help relieve pain from migraines, menstrual cramps and chronic back problems.
- Better sleep. Making love can help insomniacs fall asleep, and it's certainly more fun than counting sheep or keeping you partner awake as you toss and turn. Getting enough sleep carries its own health benefits, including healthy weight and blood pressure.
- Stress relief. Sex lowers both blood pressure and overall stress. In a study reported in the journal Biological Psychology, individuals who had intercourse performed better in high-stress situations like public speaking and verbal arithmetic.
- Reduces prostate cancer risk. An Australian study, reported in the British Journal of Urology International, found that 20-something men who led healthy sex lives were less likely to develop prostate cancer later in life.