It's the month of pink ribbons. Breast Cancer Awareness month is back once again, and Channel 4 is teaming up with Komen North Florida to help battle the disease.
We kick off the month hosting a phone bank from 5 to 7 p.m. Wednesday to raise money for the organization and raised $1,480.
Viewers are encouraged to support the Race for the Cure, 5K Run/Walk on Oct. 19 at Metropolitan Park, as well, and there's still time to sign up and donate.
Local patients and survivors are helped through the programs and services funded by Komen grants, 75 percent of the money raised is kept in north Florida to fund these grants. The other 25 percent supports the national Komen Grants Program, which funds groundbreaking breast cancer research, meritorious awards and educational and scientific programs around the world.
While dealing with breast cancer, Susan G. Komen spent her time in the hospital trying to think of ways to make life better for other women battling breast cancer instead of worrying about her own. Moved by her sister's compassion and commitment to others, Nancy G. Brinker promised Komen she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer.
Though her sister has passed, more than $1.9 billion has been raised through the efforts of Brinker and the Komen Foundation since 1982. Nationally, more than $1.9 billion has been invested through donations to Susan G. Komen's foundation.
In the United States thousands of women, typically older, are affected by breast cancer. The first sign of breast cancer is when a lump or change in the breast is found or an abnormal area is seen on a mammogram.
Pregnant women still have the chance of being diagnosed with this form of cancer due to the breast of a new mother being naturally more tender and enlarged, making it harder to find lumps or notice other changes.
In Florida, 22 out of 100,000 women die each year, which keeps Florida right below the national average at 23 per 100,000.
To donate to Komen North Florida call 800-366-9598 or 904-366-6022 until 7 p.m. To donate online or register for the 5K Run/Walk, visit komennorthflorida.org.
Late registration is available on race day from 6:30 to 8:30 a.m. The race starts at 9 a.m.