Soccer and dance lessons might be what most kids go to after school, but one woman is teaching kids about the power of a healthy snack.
It's controlled chaos at the Friedland's house, but it's no boot camp. It's nutrition camp!
Meet Spencer, Shawn, Dylan, Drew, and Justin. They are part of Robyne Friedland's after school program -- teaching kids the right way to eat away.
The fun starts with a little reading, a little jumping, a little learning… and ends with a lot of flavor.
"Kids love cooking and feel a sense of accomplishment at seeing their finished product," said Friedland.
Today, they are making fruit crepes.
First up: four eggs slightly beaten. Add melted butter, milk, flour and sugar, a dash of salt…
"Half a teaspoon, which is just a little bit, will bring out the sweetness of that sugar," Friedland said.
Spike it with a shot of vanilla. Drip it, fix it and stuff it with your favorite fruits.
"It's a great learning tool while also having fun, and it tastes good," she said.
Knowledge starts at home. If you want to help your kids eat healthier, let your child know that lean protein such as turkey and calcium in dairy products gives them strength for sports. The antioxidants in fruits and vegetables add luster to skin and hair, and eating a healthy breakfast can help them keep focused in class.
Fruit-Filled Crepes Recipe
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tbsp. white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Chocolate chips
- Assorted fruit
- Light whipped topping
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, melted butter, flour, sugar, and salt until smooth.
- Heat crepe maker or pan over medium heat. Grease pan with a small amount of butter or oil.
- Pour mixture through strainer into a large cup or bowl to get rid of lumps.
- Spoon about 3 tbsp. of batter into hot pan, making sure it is evenly coated. Heat until there is no liquid parts then flip and heat 1-2 minutes more.
- Flip onto plate and spoon fruit and a small amount of chocolate onto middle of crepe.
- Fold sides of crepe together and add a tiny bit of whipped cream on top. Enjoy!
Microwave Banana Cake Recipe
- 1½ cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup, 2 tbsp. soft butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 bananas, sliced or mashed
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice or vinegar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Combine ingredients in order given, except for 1/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Mix well.
- Lightly butter a microwave bundt pan.
- Sprinkle pan with remaining chips.
- Pour in batter.
- Cook in microwave 7 to 9 minutes on high, or until done.
- Let stand 5 minutes before turning out of pan.
(SOURCE: Book n Cookin, LLC)
Copyright 2013 by Ivanhoe Broadcast News and News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.