Recipe: Miss Holly's healthy cupcakes
Healthier cupcakes for the whole family
Hollis Wilder, the owner of Sweet by Holly, is sharing her recipe for healthier cupcakes for the whole family. Everything you need is below.
Miss Holly’s Yellow Cake Recipe
Yields 12 to 14 standard size cupcakes
4 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
2 ½ Cups Granulated Sugar
1 ½ Tsp Baking Soda
1 ½ Tsp Salt
1 ½ TBSP Vanilla Extract
1 ½ Cups Canola Oil
3 Each Whole Eggs
Almond Brown Sugar Crust (Recipe below)
1. Preheat oven to 325F
2. Measure out your dry ingredients (Flour, Sugar, Baking Soda, Salt)into a mixing bowl and whisk together
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together your wet ingredients (vanilla extract, canola oil and whole eggs)
4. Slowly pour your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients, while whisking them together
5. Once ingredients are blended together, take your almond brown sugar crust and place two tablespoons into the cupcake paper. Then using an ice cream scoop, scoop your batter into cupcake papers and bake in the oven at 325F
6. Using a paring knife or toothpick, test the center on the cupcakes. Once they come out clean, take cupcakes out of the oven and let cool before decorating.
Milk Chocolate Filling
Yields 3 to 4 cups of filling
4 Sticks (2 cups) Butter (softened)
2 lbs Confectioner’s Sugar
½ cup Water
3 Cups Milk Chocolate (Not Melted)
1 TBSP Vanilla Extract
1. Using a whisk attachment on the mixer, Whip together softened butter and vanilla extract until smooth, then add confectioners’ sugar and water
2. Mix together on low until incorporated, then whip on high for one minute – then turn off
3. Melt your milk chocolate and while the mixer is on low. Once incorporated, turn the mixer back on high for one to two minutes until your mixture resemble whipped topping.
4. Place mixture into a piping bag or food storage bag with small hole cut in corner
Almond Brown Sugar Crust
Yields for 12 to 14 cupcakes
6 oz Sliced Almonds
1 Cup Light Brown Sugar
3 oz Nilla Wafers
1. Place all ingredients into a food processor and pulse until a powdery consistency
2. Place in an air tight container
Assembling Fruit Tart Cupcake
You will need:
Yellow Cake Cupcakes
Milk Chocolate Filling bag
Strawberry and/or Apricot Preserve (Warm)
Assortment of small sliced fruit (strawberries, kiwi, etc)
1. Core out the center of the cupcake with an apple corer, making sure not to go too deep
2. Fill the center with the milk chocolate filling
3. Using a butter knife, spread a thin layer of the warm strawberry or apricot glaze into the top of the cake
4. Take thinly sliced pieces of fruit and arrange in a fan design or however you like on top of the glazed cake.
5. Then glaze the top of the fruit with more glaze and serve!
Copyright 2012 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.