Voter registration deadline almost here
Duval County voters have until 7:30 p.m. Tuesday to register
Anyone planning to cast a ballot this November but aren't registered yet, the clock is ticking. Floridians have until Tuesday night to register to vote in the general election.
For people who have waited until the last minute to secure their chance to vote in November, they'll have to go to an elections office or library to fill out a form.
Download form in advance
There's no putting it off for another day because the deadline is Tuesday night. If you're not registered by then, you won't be able to vote in this years general election.
The Duval County Supervisor of Elections Office is a busy place this week as people get things squared away before the voter registration deadline.
"Usually there's that last minute, you know Jacksonville's kind of a walk up crowd, waiting until the last day," Supervisor of Elections Jerry Holland said. "So we'll probably see quite a few come in on the last day.
Holland said there's been a great turn out in the last 30 days -- about 30,000 people have registered.
A total of 547,000 people in Duval County are registered. Holland hopes to break 550,000 before the deadline Tuesday night.
"Our office is going to stay open late, until 7:30, to give everyone that opportunity," Holland said. "You don't need to have your ID to register. It's a matter of showing your ID when you go to vote."
With about 80 percent of the county already registered, Holland reminds the other 20 percent how important of a role Duval County will play in the upcoming presidential election.
"It's considered Duval could be the one," Holland said. "If it has enough of a win for one candidate or the other, it could really be the turning point for Florida. Duval's typically gone conservative republican. John McCain even won in 2008, but again they say even if a republican wins here, they have to win by a large enough margin to offset south Florida.
The Supervisor of Elections Office Downtown is staying open late Tuesday night. You have until 7:30 to come in and register.
If someone has already registered but needs to change their address, they have until election day to do that and can do so online.
Copyright 2012 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.