2 t. Lemon juice
2 T. Sherry Vinegar
2 T. Mustard oil
¼ c. EVOO
2 T. Clam liquid (more if needed)
Salt, pepper & espelette Pepper to taste
For the Clams:
- Purge the clams by soaking them in cold running water for about 5 min.
- Heat a large rondou over high heat, then throw the clams in dry for a good 2 min. to bring the temperature of the pan back up.
- Add the EVOO, parsley stems, garlic, shallot & black peppercorns to the very hot rondou, then lastly, add the wine and put a lid on the pan.
- The point of very high heat and the lid is to create steam so the clams open quickly and don’t over cook.
- As the clams open take them out one by one placing them into a bowl. Reduce the clam liquid a bit, then strain through a fine mesh strainer, cool and reserve the liquid.
- When the clams are cool enough to touch, clean them by taking them out of the shell and removing the attaching muscle. Cool and reserve.
For the Panzanella Salad:
- Place the crusty lightly toasted bread, Tomato, cucumber, red onion, lemon zest, basil, chives and clams in a large mixing bowl.
- In a smaller bowl combine the lemon juice, sherry vinegar, mustard oil, EVOO and about 2 T. of Clam liquid. Mix, then drizzle over the salad. Toss the salad and add more clam juice if needed.
- Season with salt, pepper and espelette pepper to taste.