Tom Swider and has fiancee shared a meal two weeks ago at a Steak 'n Shake on Regency Boulevard.
"Both of us had the same thing: double cheeseburger, side of fries, and a milk shake," says Swider.
Then they both shared a bathroom.
"It was exactly 30 hours later both of us got violently ill they both hit at the exact time," says Swider.
After doing some research online, Swider found out they might have food poisoning. They stayed online to file a complaint with the state.
"Please inspect the location because we both got sick from eating at Steak and Shake yesterday with diarrhea and vomiting at the same time," wrote Swider's fiance in a letter to the state.
They got an immediate confirmation and then 12 hours later they received a call.
"They made it very simple, they told us what steps and because of the report they would send someone out to investigate," says Swider.
Later that week a state inspector showed up for a surprise inspection here at Steak 'n Shake and they emailed Tom the results.
An inspector found six high and intermediate priority violations. One had to do with temperature of potentially hazardous food, another a mold-like substance on the milk shake nozzle. Steak 'n Shake ultimately passed this inspection but the state had this to say about what sparked it.
"Thanked her for calling a lot of people who eat in restaurants don't call and complain and if they don't know they can't do anything about it. So they felt like we were helping their process," says Swider.