Finalist Survives Close CallBut Loser Of Judges' Tiebreaker Wins Audience Vote "This week is tough," contestants during week four of "Gimme The Mike!" competition repeatedly heard from judge Amadeus.
Several strong performances resulted in a tie vote from the panel, which finally decided in favor of law student Mark Hall. He enters the winners bracket and will compete against four other weekly winners and one wild-card winner in the "Gimme The Mike!" finals on April 28.
After the show, viewers chose Darrell Ruger -- who tied Mark Hall in the judges' total points -- to enter the wild-card bracket.
This season's last weekly winner and favorite will be chosen this Wednesday at 8 p.m. on Channel 4, with wild-card voting immediately after the show.
Performing in week five:
- Kayla Bennett -- a Jacksonville native, Kayla's putting together a demo album, and sometimes works as a backup singer for professional jazz artists. She also has the edge of experience in singing competitions, the winner of Jax Idol and an "American Idol" finalist.
- Kevin Griffin -- another seasoned competitor from Jacksonville, Kevin won the title of "Best Gospel Singer in Jacksonville" from Edward Waters College, and took first prize in various other talent competitions. He'll attend Bethune Cookman College next semester on a music scholarship.
- Brittany Horton -- currently a senior at First Coast High School, Brittany plans to study dentistry at UNF in the fall. President of the school chorus, she loves to perform for a crowd, and often sings at church and for weddings and funerals. "Gimme The Mike!" is her first individual competition.
- Porscha Jackson -- this Hilliard resident is a veteran of the U.S. Air Force, singing the National Anthem at a military induction ceremony. She's been involved in chorus since kindergarten, and made the finals of "American Idol." Now working on a degree in Ultrasound Diagnostics, she hopes to become a labor and delivery nurse.
- Jocelyn Rigby -- currently majoring in music at FCCJ, this Jacksonville Beach resident has always been a performer. She cheered and sang at Jaguars games for three years, as a member of the team's cheerleading squad, and performed with the Buffalo Bills' Doug Flutie. Jocelyn's very close to her family, especially her twin.
Morning radio personality Eden Kendall will be back in week five for another turn in the WAPE judge's seat. She'll be alongside "Gimme The Mike!" regulars Deborah McDuffie, of the Ritz Voices, and Curtis Dvorak, better known as Jaxson deVille.
As always, Rock 105's Brenda Price will host from center stage, while Channel 4 traffic guru Michelle Wright keeps up with the contestants backstage.
This season's champion and a guest will sail on a 5-day/4-night cruise from Jacksonville to Key West and Nassau, aboard the Funship Celebration, courtesy Carnival Cruise Lines. They will also win a demo recording session with Jamie deFrates Music, a CD-cover photo shoot with John Casablanca's Modeling, and artist representation from Showbiz Promotions.