9 horses killed in barn fire
Barn fire started in appliance-filled room
An incident report notes that a fire that killed nine horses started in a tack room filled with appliances.
The report released Monday by Palm Beach County Fire Rescue is in line with preliminary findings when the fire broke out on March 9. According to the report, several items - including microwaves and hot plates - were plugged into a surge protector behind the refrigerator.
The Palm Beach Post reports horse food and supplies were also stored in the tack room.
The 50-year-old barn in Lake Worth didn't have a sprinkler system.
Omar Cepeda, who has rented the barn for three years, told the Post he's battled depression over the loss of the horses. He says the horses cost about $40,000 each.
Copyright 2013 by News4Jax.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.