Leo Kaczmar III, convicted in August of first-degree murder, attempted sexual battery and arson in the death of his father's girlfriend, was sentenced Friday to death for the crimes.
Maria Ruiz was found dead in her Green Cove Springs home in December 2008. She had been stabbed more than 50 times.
Prosecutors said Kaczmar, 26, was high on crack cocaine the day of the murder. They said after attacking Ruiz, he set her home on fire to cover his tracks.
The same jury that convicted Kaczmar voted 11-1 to recommend he be put to death. Judge William Wilkes formally sentenced Kaczmar on Friday.
- August 13, 2010: Jury: Dad's Girlfriend's Killer Should Die
- August 12, 2010: Man Guilty Of Murdering Dad's Girlfriend
- March 3, 2009: Man Indicted On Murder, Arson Charges
- December 24, 2008: Arrest Made In Slaying, Arson
- December 17, 2008: Green Cove Springs Arson Victim Identified
- December 14, 2008: Fire Marshal: Fatal Blaze Was Set