3 Many of you may be taking a mini- vacation this Labor Day weekend. But a word of warning about a potential danger lurking in freshwater lakes in our state. On Monday, Zachary Reyna, a 12 year old boy in South Florida DIED...from a brain eating parasite.His family thinks it got into his body while he was knee boarding in a water filled ditch near his home. Channel 4's Ashley Mitchem spoke with a doctor about how you can protect your children. 3 00-0727-3240-44 Last month...the Florida department of health issued a warning to everyone about swimming in lakes or ponds in our state because of a risk of a brain eating parasite.It's rare...but one child is TOO many.This boy this summer died from a brain eating parasite...four others died two summers ago from the same thing.Doctor Mobeen Rathore from UF Health says this alert from the Health Department is not to cause mass panic- but awareness that it's out there. Dr. Mobeen Rathore, UF Health 28:10 It's a rare infection I think one should not be too worried about it but it certainly can happen The brain eating amoeba lives in lakes and ponds and the doctor says the ONLY way it enters people's bodies is through their nose.SU 57:36 Doctors say one preventative measure is using a nose plug if you plan on swimming in fresh water.27:50 This amoeba gets to the body through the nose and from the nose it will go into the brain and that's how the infection gets into the brain There's no need to avoid lakes and ponds if you take precautions.Other ways to prevent it- try to keep head above water, if swimming also avoid stirring up sediment at the bottom.Although most cases are children ANYONE can get the bacteria..the symptoms are similar to meningitis symptoms. 30:20 it starts usually with a fever, a headache, it's followed by a stiff neck 59:29 The CDC says there are more cases in the South because amoeba thrive in warm fresh water like we have here in Florida- From Lakewood, AM C4 TLS.