The final witness in a double murder trial was not the defendant, as some were expecting, but his wife.
After conferring with his lawyers, John Mosley Jr. was not called to the stand in his trial on two counts of first-degree murder. He is accused of killing his former girlfriend, Lynda Wilkes, and her 10-month-old son, Jay-Quan, after a meeting with them about child support.
Mosley has denied that he was the father of the boy and that he killed them.
While Mosley did not take the stand, his mother and wife of 19 years did testify in his defense.
Under oath, Carolyn Mosley affirmed her love for John Mosley Jr.
Although John Mosley did not testify, his voice was heard in an audiotape of his call to his wife from jail -- a call prosecutors say was an attempt to build an alibi.
"You, my mom, Lex and Amber need to write a statement and get it notarized that I was home all night," Mosley is heard saying.
Last week, a 16-year-old admitted drug dealer who prosecutors said was Mosley's accomplice testified that he saw the defendant strangle Wilkes and put her body in the back of his SUV. The boy also said Mosley had him hold a garbage bag open while he put a crying Jay-Quan inside.
Wilkes burned body was found in woods near Waldo. The child's body was never found.
Closing arguments are set to begin Thursday, with the jury likely to begin deliberations Friday. If Mosley is convicted, prosecutors said they will ask for him to be given the death penalty.
- November 15, 2005: Defendant In Double Murder Trial May Testify
- November 10, 2005: Witness Tells Of Screaming Baby Being Stuffed Into Bag
- November 9, 2005: Prosecution To Seek Death Penalty In Deaths Of Mother, Child
- November 7, 2005: Man Goes On Trial For Allegedly Killing Woman, 10-Month-Old Son
- July 2, 2004: Prosecutors Seek Death Penalty For Man Accused Of Murdering Woman, Infant
- May 28, 2004: Man Accused Of Killing Woman, Infant Pleads Not Guilty
- May 7, 2004: Mosley Charged With Killing Ex-Girlfriend, Baby
- May 6, 2004: Mosley, Teen Charged With Murder; Landfill Search For Baby Ends
- May 3, 2004: Police Search South Georgia Landfill For Baby's Body
- May 3, 2004: Mosley In Court For Paternity Hearing
- April 30, 2004: Mosley Jailed; Investigation Into Missing Woman, Baby Continues
- April 28, 2004: More Police, Volunteers Search For Missing Mom, Baby