He graduated from the University of Georgia in 1943 and served in the Army in Europe during World War II. His first reporting job was at the Temple (Texas) Daily Telegram. He also had stints for United Press in Atlanta, New York and London during his journalism career.
- Zimmerman's girlfriend: He's not a threat
- Feds charge 18 Los Angeles County deputies
- Ukraine opposition office raided amid protest
- Catholic college police officer kills student
- Bob Filner sentenced in assaults on women
- Man vs. machine: Who should be at the wheel?
- Congress: Deadlines pushed and holiday cheer?
- U.S. military aircraft to aid African mission
- Mandela ceremony draws the world