He graduated from the University of Georgia in 1943 and served in the Army in Europe during World War II. His first reporting job was at the Temple (Texas) Daily Telegram. He also had stints for United Press in Atlanta, New York and London during his journalism career.
- Winter weather: Outages, travel woes await
- Improving economy: Is it for real?
- Uneasy truce in town at heart of CAR unrest
- UK air traffic control glitch delays flights
- The death of Paul Walker: What we know so far
- Congress having trouble with health care signup
- Former presidents to travel to Mandela memorial
- Ex-Goldman VP gets 9 months in prison
- 6 questioned in Mexico radioactive theft