He graduated from the University of Georgia in 1943 and served in the Army in Europe during World War II. His first reporting job was at the Temple (Texas) Daily Telegram. He also had stints for United Press in Atlanta, New York and London during his journalism career.
- Arizona execution took 15 injections
- MH17 crash: A roundup of the latest news
- Report: Bae feels abandoned by U.S.
- China: 9 terror suspects killed in Xinjiang
- Ebola outbreak affects African soccer tournament
- Tropical Storm Bertha rolls through Puerto Rico
- Friend honors teen pilot, dad's goal of raising $1 million
- Voyager 1: 'The little spacecraft that could'
- Injury puts Nadal's U.S. Open title defense in doubt