He graduated from the University of Georgia in 1943 and served in the Army in Europe during World War II. His first reporting job was at the Temple (Texas) Daily Telegram. He also had stints for United Press in Atlanta, New York and London during his journalism career.
- Ferry disaster death toll rises to 87
- Chris Brown on trial in D.C.
- Did boy fly to Maui in plane landing gear?
- Syria announces presidential election
- Funeral for vice principal who took own life
- In recent sea disasters, captains jump ship
- Deaths leave Mount Everest climbs up in air
- Stocks: Chipper after the long weekend
- Nonprofits that pay top fundraisers $1M (or more) a year