CELEBRATION, Fla. -

An 11-year-old girl was electrocuted while retrieving her golf ball from a pond at a Celebration resort's mini-golf course, according to authorities.

The Orange-Osceola Medical Examiner said Ashton Jojo was electrocuted around 2:10 p.m. Wednesday at the Orange Lake Resort on West Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway.

A building safety department official said on Thursday that the electrocution was likely caused by a possible faulty pump connected to an improper circuit breaker. 

Orange County sheriff's deputies said Ashton was playing Putt-Putt when her ball went into a pond.  Deputies said Jojo went to retrieve the ball and then screamed.

A guest tried to rescue her but was unable. He was also injured, deputies said.

Ashton was taken to Celebration Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Officials said Ashton, who recently celebrated a birthday, was visiting Florida from New York with her family.

"Orange Lake Resort holds the safety and well-being of our guests and employees as our top priority and concern," the resort said in a statement.  "The miniature golf facility where the incident happened is closed and will not re-open until further notice. Our thoughts and prayers are with the guests, their families and friends during this time.  The resort staff will continue to cooperate fully with local authorities in their investigation."