JACKSONVILLE BEACH, Fla. -

Firefighters on Wednesday afternoon battled a fire at a home in the 500 block of First Street South in Jacksonville Beach that had threatened a multistory condominium building next door.

Jacksonville Fire-Rescue initially issued a second-alarm due to the exposure to neighboring buildings, but that was canceled when the fire was contained to the one house.

IMAGES: Fire consumes Jacksonville Beach house

According to JFRD, two people in the home were alerted when a smoke detector went off and were able to get out safely, but one dog and a bird died in the fire. Firefighters say the fire was caused by a kerosine space heater.

The structure is likely a total loss.

A VyStar account has been set up for the residents of the home, Shannon and David Hewitt. The account number is 702968426 and is in their daughter's name, Ashleith Brown.