A lightning strike severed a gas line that fed the fireplace of a home, causing the house to catch fire Tuesday afternoon, according to Jacksonville Fire-Rescue.
Firefighters were called to the home in the 3600 block of Richmond Street in Riverside at about 3:30 p.m.
They said lightning struck a tree and ricocheted off the tree and hit the nearby home. The strike severed the gas line, and flames traveled up through the fireplace and hit the attic.
The fire was visible through the roof of the home, and it took firefighters about 30 minutes to put it out.
Two adults and four children were able to escape safely. No one was hurt.
There was no need for Red Cross assistance, as the family has other options, firefighters said.