A 22-year-old St. Augustine man has been arrested on a charge of child neglect after a 2-year-old girl was badly scalded in a bathtub at an apartment Saturday.

According to the St. Johns County Sheriff's Office, Travon Elmore started a bath for the girl he was babysitting and was gathering clothes when he heard her screaming.

Elmore found the girl had somehow gotten into the tub by herself and moved the faucet handle, causing "extremely hot water" to pour into the bathtub, according to the police report.

The girl had second- and third-degree burns, according to the report.

Elmore was also arrested on an outstanding warrant for violating his probation.