DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. -

Broward County authorities say the winner of a roach eating contest died shortly after eating dozens of roaches and worms.

Several contestants ate insects to win a python, the grand prize of the Friday night contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach.

The Broward Sheriff's Office says the winner of the challenge, 32-year-old Edward Archbold, became ill soon after and collapsed in front of the store. He was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead. The sheriff's office said Monday it was waiting for an autopsy report to determine a cause of death.

No other contestants became sick after the contest.