Former Sen. George McGovern spent his final days in hospice in his home state of South Dakota, where he died Sunday at 90-years-old.

Exactly seven months earlier, McGovern sat outside his winter home in St. Augustine Beach and told Channel 4's Jason Law about how his life had changed nearly 40 years after he lost his bid for the presidency to Richard Nixon.

"I do a lot of reading. I do some writing. I try to get a little exercise every day, go for a walk, go out on the beach," said McGovern.

After a series of health issues this year, he moved back to his home state of South Dakota, and later into hospice care. He eventually was placed on life support before his long life of public service came to a close.

McGovern was first in the Air Force, where he flew in 35 combat missions during World War II. He later served as a U.S. Congressman and Senator of his home state, South Dakota. In 1972, McGovern was named the Democratic Party's presidential nominee, but lost to Richard Nixon in a landslide.

President Barack Obama remembered McGovern in a statement Sunday as "a statesman of great conscience and conviction."

McGovern believed Obama would win re-election this fall, and talked politics.

"I've been kind of appalled at some of the things that have gone on in that campaign. It's so negative," he said.

McGovern said he enjoyed his life in Northeast Florida, and was inspired to live it to the fullest. He even tried his hand at skydiving.

"I did that on my last birthday... I got the idea that if it's good enough for former President Bush, it ought to be good enough for George McGovern," he said.

When asked how he would describe skydiving, McGovern said it was scary.

"Don't let anyone tell you that the first time you do that you're not a little nervous."

Despite his years of service and dedication, McGovern said he wasn't concerned with his legacy, and instead focused on the present.

"I want to do good work whatever I attempt. Yes, I'd like to have a good reputation and I'd like it to linger on for a while. But I'm just trying to take things a day at a time now."

McGovern's family said he spent his last days surrounded by his loved ones.