Winning week five of Channel 4's "Gimme the Mike!" contest, Kevin Griffin, previously crowned "The Best Gospel Singer in Jacksonville," proved himself once again, locking in an all-male winner's bracket for the show's finals, airing at 8 p.m. on April 28.
But, there's hope yet for some of the talented ladies of the competition, including Kayla Bennett, who secured week five's "Wild Card" slot. Viewers can vote for their favorite Wild Card contestant at www.news4jax.com until 6:30 p.m. on April 22. The Wild Card singer with the most votes will be revealed in the Grand Prize round, where he or she will take the sixth and final slot.
- Frank Yournett (Green Cove Springs) – Jaguars fans might recognize Frank: He sang the National Anthem before home games during their first two seasons. He's also the owner of Daddy O's Sports Bar and Grill, and heads up his own karaoke company, Fly Entertainment.
- Damien Daley (Jacksonville) – Originally from Brooklyn, Damien's looking to get behind the scenes in the music business, and wants to produce and engineer CDs. In the meantime, he's active in the choir at First Baptist Church and sings at weddings.
- Alvin Armstrong (Jacksonville) – Between working as an emergency department clerk at Shands Jacksonville and caring for his two children, Alvin still makes time for his music. He's traveled with local bands and performed in various competitions, sung for weddings and participated in church choirs. He's currently recording with his group, Unison.
- Mark Hall (Jacksonville) – Currently studying at the Florida Coastal School of Law, Mark's spent a lot of time in school as both a student and an educator. Music may not be his only avenue to fame: When not studying, singing or playing the piano, he's working on a novel.
- Kevin Griffin (Jacksonville) – another seasoned competitor, Kevin won the title of "Best Gospel Singer in Jacksonville" from Edward Waters College, and took first prize in various other talent competitions. He'll attend Bethune Cookman College next semester on a music scholarship.
If you can't wait until the "Gimme the Mike!" finals to hear these performers sing, they'll appear live from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Friday, April 23 at River City Brewery on the Southbank.
"Gimme the Mike!" regulars Deborah McDuffie, of the Ritz Voices, and Curtis Dvorak, a.k.a. Jaxon de Ville, will return to judge the final round, along with Amadeus of WAPE's "The Big Ape Morning Zoo." As always, Rock 105's Brenda Price will host the event, while Channel 4 traffic guru Michelle Wright gives contestants their say at "The Last Word."
This season's champion and a guest will sail on a five-day, four-night cruise from Jacksonville to Key West and Nassau, aboard the Funship Celebration, courtesy Carnival Cruise Lines. They'll also win a demo recording session with Jamie Defrates Music, a CD-cover photo shoot with John Casablancas Modeling, and artist representation from Showbiz Promotions.
WJXT is the original home of "Gimme the Mike!," now being produced in 30 cities across the country.