A jury heard disturbing testimony Friday in the trial of a Westside man accused of killing his 4-month-old son.
Anthony Oyibo, 23, is accused of killing his infant son, injuring another child and kidnapping a third.
Prosecutors called to the stand Kristie Gergely, the slain infant's mother and Oyibo's ex-girlfriend. Gergely said Oyibo had a history of abusing their baby and said one time he even put a plastic bag over the child's head.
Channel 4's Victoria Warren was in the courtroom on Friday and reported that Gergely spent hours on the stand describing the horrendous abuse of her children at the hands of Oyibo, but defense attorneys said Gergely cannot be trusted.
"He put plastic bags over their head," Gergely said. "He put it on them and tightened it around their face and around their neck."
Gergely cried as prosecutors had her demonstrate how she said Oyibo put a cord around her own neck.
"He told me to get on my knees, and said he was going to put me to sleep. He would try to put the cord around my neck," Gergely said.
Oyibo barely looked up as his ex-girlfriend testified, which was most of the day.
"He hit me in the back of my head and I fell to the floor, and my body was numb and tingling for a few seconds," Gergely said.
She described running from her Westside home scared as she called 911. She told the jury the last thing she heard from Oyibo was, "He said, 'Kristi come back; you're putting our business in the street,' then he said 'I'll kill you.'"
In opening statements on Thursday, defense attorneys indicated that Gergely may have had something to do with the death of her 4-month-old son.
The defense was not able to cross-examine Gergely Friday, but is expected to do so on Monday.
- March 16, 2006: Jury Told Crying, Hungry Children Prompted Killing
- March 13, 2006: Jury Being Selected In Trial Of Man Accused Of Killing Baby
- October 2, 2003: Grand Jury Indicts Oyibo For First-Degree Murder, Other Crimes
- June 19, 2003: Murder Suspect Ordered To Provide Blood, Hair Samples
- May 20, 2003: High-Profile Attorney Appointed To Defend Oyibo
- May 19, 2003: Murder Suspect Quiet, Prosecutor Protests At Hearing
- May 16, 2003: Man Accused Of Murder, Kidnapping Returned To Jacksonville
- May 10, 2003: Kidnapping, Murder Suspect In Fair Condition With Burns
- May 9, 2003: Man Accused Of Kidnapping Boy, Killing Baby Captured
- May 7, 2003: Boy Returned; Manhunt On For Alleged Abductor
- May 6, 2003: Search On After Baby Killed, Toddler Injured, Boy Abducted