Publix recalls bakery cake products
Listeria concern in cake baking products
Publix Super Markets is issuing a voluntary recall for 45 various cake products due to the fact that they may be adulterated with Listeria monocytogenes.
Publix received notification of the contamination from their supplier, Maplehurst, officials said.
Publix said the following products are on their recall list:
- 7" CHOC CKIES N CRM CAKE 002-13584-00000
- 7" CHOC CKIES N CM LAY CK 002-16466-00000
- 7" W/T ICED CHOC LYR CAKE 002-16467-00000
- 7" DEC. BUTTERCREAM W/FIL 002-19722-00000
- 7" DEC WHIP TOPPING W/FIL 002-19734-00000
- 7" DEC FUDGE ICED W/FILL 002-19748-00000
- 7" DEC CRM CHSE ICED W/F 002-19759-00000
- CRM CHSE 7" VAN DEC 002-92096-00000
- CRM CHSE 7" CHOC DEC 002-92097-00000
- CRM CHSE 1/2 & 1/2 7" DEC 002-92099-00000
- CHOCOLATE GANACHE CAKE 002-94078-00000
- DULCE DE LECHE BON BON CA 002-94003-00000
- CHOC GANACHE SUPREME 002-94085-00000
- CHOCOLATE GANACHE BON BON 002-94098-00000
- CHOC GANACHE GRANDEUR 002-94130-00000
- BUTTERCREAM 7" CHOC DEC 002-94333-00000
- RASPBERRY SACHER TORTE 002-94132-00000
- LATTE BLAST 002-94162-00000
- WHIP TOPPING 7" CHOC DEC 002-94396-00000
- WHIP TOPPING 7" 1/2-1/2 002-94420-00000
- FUDGE ICED 7" CHOC DEC 002-94432-00000
- ICE CREAM 7" CHOC DEC 002-94468-00000
- ICE CREAM 7" 1/2-1/2 DEC2 002-94490-00000
- BUTTERCREAM 7" 1/2-1/2 002-94502-00000
- LYR W/T BLACKOUT CAKE 002-95322-00000
- LYR 7" CHOCOLATE SHADOW 002-95323-00000
- LYR 7" CHECKERBOARD WHOLE 002-95325-00000
- LYR 7" W/T BLACK FOREST 002-95334-00000
- GERMAN CHOC 7" LAYER CAKE 002-95353-00000
- PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE FIX 002-95628-00000
Officials said the product was distributed to Publix stores between Nov. 11, 2012 through Nov. 15, 2012 to select Florida counties, including: Brevard, Charlotte, Citrus, Collier, Flagler, Hernando, Highlands, Hillsborough, Lake, Lee, Manatee, Marion, Orange, Osceola, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk, Sarasota, Seminole, Sumter, and Volusia.
Officials said consumption of products containing Listeria monocytogenes can cause serious and sometimes fatal infection in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems.
Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women, officials said.
"While the product is no longer available on store shelves, we have issued a voluntary recall because of our commitment to food safety and to advise our customers who may still have this product at home," said Maria Brous, Publix media and community relations director.
"No illnesses have been reported to date in connection with the 7" chocolate layer cake used to make these desserts. Consumers who have purchased the products in question may return the product to their local store for a full refund.
Publix customers with additional questions may call our Customer Care Center at 1-800-242-1227 or visit our website at Publix.com. Customers can also contact the U.S. Food and Drug Administration at 1-888-SAFEFOOD (1-888-723-3366)," Brous said.
Distributed by LAKANA. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.