"It doesn't bring Somer back. It doesn't make life any easier or any better. It is what it is and he is responsible. Not the Clay County Sheriff's Office, not FDLE, not FBI... monster, monster."

Thompson said Harrell's interview with authorities was so graphic, police officers who were watching from another room had to be physically held back.

"I knew he was a flipping animal and a monster, but I had no idea," Thompson said. "And every time that I think that I can't be surprised anymore, I'm surprised again and it makes me so very disappointed in myself for thinking that I still can't be surprised at this."

Harrell pleaded guilty last month and was sentenced to six life sentences for killing Somer, along with dozens of unrelated child molestation and pornography charges.

Somer was with her older sister, twin brother and some friends the day she was kidnapped, but ran ahead of them after they had a spat.

Authorities said Harrell lured Somer into the home so she could play with a dog she had seen there many times.

Somer's body was found in a southeast Georgia landfill two days later. Investigators said Harrell kidnapped the first-grader while she was walking home from school, then raped and murdered her.

Investigators said Somer died from asphyxiation and suffered blows to the head.

Harrell was arrested months later in Mississippi, but only on child pornography charges. He wasn't indicted for Somer's murder until five months after her death, then waived his appearance in court for the next 18 months when he agreed to plead guilty and accept sentencing.

Much of the evidence released Thursday was related to the initial child pornography investigation that began on Aug. 12, 2009 -- two months before Somer's disappearance.

A search warrant for Harrell's previous residence was executed Sept. 9 and material was turned over to the state Attorney General's office with the promise it would have results back in four weeks. Instead it took two months.

Harrell was questioned the day Somer disappeared, telling deputies he was home that afternoon, but didn't see Somer.

Two friends of Harrell's later told detectives that he began acting very strange and suspicious after Somer's disappearance. It was noted that Harrell lost weight, became reclusive and began growing facial hair.

Among the notes in one investigator's report was that a friend said Harrell had told sexual jokes involving children.

Between the Sheriff's Office and the FDLE, dozens of subpoenas were issued during the course of the investigation, including to banks, phone companies, Facebook, MySpace, Yahoo!, EarthLink and all major credit card services.

A short time later, Harrell moved to Mississippi to live with relatives. Clay County investigators had him placed under surveillance on Jan. 25, 2010. He was arrested less than a month later.

In interviews with Clay County detectives, Harrell admitted to detectives that he was obsessed with child pornography, although he said he would feel guilty afterward and sometimes destroyed the photos and video.