The USNS 1st Lt. Harry L. Martin was under tow when it struck the Matthew's Bridge. Officials said Thursday night the vessel was moored at the Northern Florida Shipyard, approximately half a mile south of the bridge.
The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office is recommending the following detours around the Mathews Bridge:
- East/Westbound detours through the downtown area: Eastbound primary detour route is to the Hart Bridge via the Union Street Expressway to the sports complex exit. Westbound primary detour route is to the Hart Bridge via Cesery Boulevard to Atlantic Boulevard. Motorists should be aware of possible additional delays due to heavy construction.
- Detours for Arlington, Fort Caroline and Regency areas: Interstate 95 north to Zoo Parkway to the Dames Point Bridge.
- Detours for Southside area: I-95 south to Emerson Street and University Boulevard exits.
The following road closures are in effect:
- East Beaver Street entrance ramp to Matthews Bridge
- MLK Boulevard southbound at eastbound Matthew Bridge exit
- MLK Boulevard southbound at downtown exit heading west into downtown
Because of the recent closure of the Mathews Bridge, the Jacksonville Transportation Authority is advising its customers who travel on the AR6, CT2, CT4, S1 and R5 buses to expect unusually longer trips until the bridge is reopened.
A news conference will be held at 11:30 a.m. Friday outside EverBank Field to explain traffic plans for the Jaguars game at 1 p.m. Sunday.