Biscottis reopens less than 2 weeks after fire
A staple in Avondale is back open for business.
A kitchen fire damaged Biscottis restaurant on Jan. 23. Now, less than two weeks later, the renovations are complete.
Biscottis, known for its food, cakes and artwork, opened its doors for customers on Monday. The owners are thrilled their 20-year-old business is back to life.
"Well, you never think it's as bad as, you know -- when you get that call, you never think it's going to be that bad, but it was pretty bad," said co-owner Barbara Bredehoeft.
The accidental fire started in the kitchen, and of the 3,500 square feet, about 1,000 square feet was destroyed from the fire.
"It essentially took our whole kitchen, so these guys worked nearly 24/7 for 12 days for us to get open, and we're pretty happy with the results," Bredehoeft said.
Although the restaurant is in a plaza connected to other shops in Avondale, no other businesses were affected. Since the opening Monday, things are getting back to normal.
"Absolute total relief, and to hear the normal sounds, music coming over the speaker, and to hear 'table for two' coming in the restaurant," Bredehoeft said.
The restaurant's catering business was not be interrupted because its sister restaurant BB's Restaurant and Bar in San Marco took care of those orders.
To celebrate the reopening of Biscottis, it is offering half-price wine Wednesday through Feb. 12.
Copyright 2014 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.