NORTH MIAMI, Fla. -

Police are investigating after they say a 7-year-old died at his South Florida home while swimming in his pool.  They believe the cause was a faulty pool light. 

North Miami Police say he was racing a friend Sunday in the backyard pool while a nanny was watching him.  They say Calder Sloan was electrocuted, sending a jolt through him and launching him out of the water. 

According to The Miami Herald, Calder's father, Chris Sloan, says the pool light had been fixed by a contractor last year. 

According to North Florida Miami building department records, there's no sign of permits pulled or inspections in the past year.

Since Calder's death the family has stayed elsewhere.