JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -

A carelessly discarded cigarette may be to blame for a small fire at an apartment complex on the Southside early Wednesday morning.

JFRD said the fire started at the Bentley Green Apartments on Princeton Square Boulevard, near I-95 and Baymeadows Road, sometime after midnight.

A resident awoke from his sleep to the smell of smoke and called 911.

The small fire created a big hole in the wall of one of the apartment buildings, causing about $2,000 in damages according to JFRD.

Firefighters remained on scene through 4 a.m. cleaning debris left behind from the fire and water.

No one was displaced from their homes due to the fire.

JFRD has not confirmed the cause of the fire, but a resident of the apartment says firefighters told him it was an accident and that a cigarette may be the cause.