Two Republicans -- Richard Russell and Ronnie Robinson -- are contending for the District 5 seat. There is no Democrat in the race, so the winner of the Aug. 14 Republican primary will be elected.
Read about the candidates:
FAMILY: Tammy, Matt, Lindsey and T.J.
OCCUPATION: Editor/technical writer/retired Navy
EDUCATION: Master of business administration
POLITICAL EXPERIENCE: "No political experience other than to help get out the vote"
WHAT DO YOU SEE AS THE TOP THREE ISSUES IN THIS RACE?
- Operating Revenue. Having a heavy reliance on property taxes for revenue and decreased property values within the county, tax revenue shortfalls need to be addressed. This can be accomplished by reducing expenses, looking into public private partnerships for basic operations and as a last resort increased property taxes.
- Road conditions as well as ingress and egress into neighboring counties. Additional avenues must be pursued to include Light rail, express transit systems as well as revenue to make much needed road repairs. Some proposals floating around are increasing the gas tax by $.05. My opinion on this tax increase is that we must remember that 80% of the people work outside the county and if we add an excessive tax burden upon the citizens they will buy their gas in other counties. This will have a negative effect in reducing the tax revenue already relied upon.
- The need for industrial and other manufacturing jobs. It is a shame that 80% of the work force in Clay county has to drive at a minimum of 30 miles one way for good jobs with sustainable wages. Clay County must begin the process of developing a business friendly climate and actively pursue all opportunities that are available.
HOW CAN YOU HELP VOTERS IN A WAY THAT THE OTHERS RUNNING FOR THIS OFFICE CANNOT?
- "I will aggressively pursue large and medium scale business opportunities that have been neglected for the last four years. I will also examine all tax, ordinance and zoning issues, ensuring they are up-to-date and will display the seriousness the county has toward new business opportunities."
WHAT WOULD YOU HOPE TO BE REMEMBERED FOR AFTER SERVING IN THIS OFFICE?
- "The thing I see myself hearing from the voters is that after I have served them is Rich Russell brought good paying jobs to Clay County and provided my family and I with employment opportunities which have provided a better life."
CAMPAIGN WEBSITE: VoteRussell2012.com
Incumbent Clay County Commissioner
This candidate has not responded to WJXT/News4Jax.com's questionnaire.