Girl left alone inside Orange City home with meth lab, deputies say
Firefighters put out small fire inside garage where meth lab was found
Authorities are investigating after firefighters were called to put out a small fire in the garage of an Orange City home, where deputies say a meth lab was found.
Firefighters were called out after 3:30 p.m. Friday to put out the fire at a house on West Wisconsin Avenue.
A passerby called 911 after seeing smoke coming from the garage of the home.
A girl in her pre-teens was found inside the house. Firefighters said she had no idea there was a fire in the garage.
Ray Brasells walks his dog past the house every night and would have never suspected what was going on inside.
"It's awful," said Brasells. "I mean if they're going to do something like that, why do they do that with kids?"
The girl was taken to the hospital as a precaution, but officials said she didn't appear to be hurt.
"If she would have breathed the fumes from an active meth lab, it could have hurt her pretty badly," said Division Chief Bill Snyder.
Volusia County Sheriff's deputies said they have two people in custody who were not home at the time of the fire.
Deputies wouldn't say if the people in custody are the girls' parents.
Neighbors told Local 6 the people who live in the house have been in the neighborhood for about a year and keep to themselves.
"It's shaky to live in a neighborhood you think is safe. To find out it's a meth lab, he could've blown us all up," said Brasells.
Copyright 2014 by Post-Newsweek Stations. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.