STARKE, Fla. -

The State Fire Marshal is investigating an early morning fire that destroyed a home just east of Starke. The family wasn't home at the time but seven dogs, all Chihuahuas -- died in the fire.

Just before 4:30 a.m. Friday, a motorist on State Road 230 called 911 to report flames coming from the roof of a home. Firefighters from Starke, Lawtey and Theressa Fire Departments arrived to find the home engulfed in flames.

IMAGES: Firefighters battle house fire

A firefighter described the initial fire attack as intense due to the volume of flames inside the structure, but the fire was brought under control within 30 minutes.

Nobody was home at the time of the fire and the family's cat managed to escape, but firefighters found the seven dogs deceased inside the burned house.

Early results indicate the fire started in the master bedroom and possibly was electrical in nature.

A Lawtey firefighter slightly injured by broken glass while battling the blaze  was treated at the scene by paramedics. No other injuries were reported.