JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Tough judges and a close call wrapped up the first round of competition last week for the new season of "Gimme The Mike!"
Winning over the crowd with a lively performance of "Get Down Tonight," Frank Yournett of Green Cove Springs captured the first slot in the grand prize round of Channel 4's hit talent show.
Also still in the running for her own appearance in the finals, Emily Brucker, a first-grade teacher from Jacksonville, earned a berth in the "viewer's choice" wild card bracket.
Yournett and Brucker will soon have company in the winners' circle, after a new group of performers duke it out, live, Wednesday at 8 p.m.
Competing in round two:
- Stephen Combs - though singing is his first love, Stephen went straight into the Army after graduating from Baker County High School. He's now pursuing another, rather unusual, interest, studying in the FCCJ mortuary program.
- Damien Daley - originally from Brooklyn, Damien's looking to get behind the scenes in the music business, wanting to produce and engineer CDs. In the meantime, he 's active in the choir at First Baptist Church and sings at weddings.
- Jordyn Jackson - a graduate of Bartram Trail High School, Jordyn's been performing in pageants and talent shows since the seventh grade, and also loves to write music. She's very close to her family, calling her mom and grandmom her best friends.
- Janita Ocaña - a sprinter and long jumper, Janita broke records running track at Ed White High School, and dreams of running in the Olympics. She also dreams of owning her own music studio, and will study Music Business and Communications at South Florida University next fall.
- Nicole Stallings - a passionate singer, Nicole's a popular choice to perform at weddings and church functions. She's now recording a demo album, and sings karaoke for fun. She says her other great love, shopping, may have gotten out of hand; with her family threatening to send her to Dr. Phil for help.
Amadeus of the Big Ape Morning Zoo will fill the WAPE judges seat this week. He'll be doling out scores and advice to the contestants, along with "Gimme The Mike!" regulars Deborah McDuffie of the Ritz Voices, and Curtis Dvorak, better known as Jaxson deVille, mascot of the Jacksonville Jaguars.
As always, Rock 105's Brenda Price will emcee the show.
WJXT is the original home of "Gimme The Mike!" which is now being produced in cities from coast to coast.
Copyright 2011 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.