JFRD: Space heater started house fire

JFRD: Space heater caught bed on fire while mom, son were sleeping

By Crystal Moyer - Traffic/reporter
Headline Goes Here

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Firefighters said a space heater caught a bed on fire, while a family was sleeping in a home in Northwest Jacksonville early Monday morning.

Jacksonville Fire Rescue was notified of a fire to a home on 5724 Kinlock Drive South near Manhattan Drive just before 5 a.m. Monday morning.

According to JFRD, the fire spread throughout the bedroom, but a mother and son were were able to get out.

The mom was transported to UF Health for smoke-related breathing problems.  No other injuries were reported.

The State Fire Marshal was on scene, investigating the fire Monday morning.

The Red Cross is assisting the family.

Copyright 2014 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.