JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Do you know what causes most home fires in our country...Kitchen fires.
Next week is National Fire Prevention week and organizers are focusing on keep you safe while you cook.
According to the latest National Fire Protection Association research, two of every five home fires start in the kitchen, and they can be dangerous when left burning for only a few minutes.
They offer the following suggestions:
- Staying in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, broiling, or boiling food.
- If you must leave the room, turn off the stove, and definitely don't leave home.
- If you have young children, use the stove's back burners whenever possible.
- Keep children and pets at least three away from the stove.
- Keep potholders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper and plastic bags, towels, and anything else that can burn, away from your stove top.
Copyright 2013 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.