TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - More than half of Floridians with disabilities will soon be moved off a waiting list to access services.
Earlier this year, the Legislature approved $36 million to move approximately 750 individuals off the waiting list and start receiving services. But Gov. Rick Scott said Thursday he now expects those funds to reach approximately 1,600 people. The Agency for Persons with Disabilities developed criteria to enroll individuals with the greatest needs.
Roughly $500,000 will help 200 people with developmental disabilities on the waiting list pay for employment services to help get jobs and internships.
Debra Dowds is the executive director of the Florida Developmental Disabilities Council. She said, "So many more people who are in desperate need of services will be offered waiver enrollment than initially anticipated. This is a very positive step."
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.