CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - Reports of tar balls on beaches from Cocoa Beach to Melbourne Beach have garnered responses from the Coast Guard and the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, Thursday.
WKMG-TV reports contractors have cleaned up over 50 pounds of the stuff so far and said that it's not the result of any reported oil spills.
The Coast Guard said that this isn't the first time this has happened, the first tar ball sightings dating back several years.
They are currently investigating the cause of the tar balls and advise beach-goers to avoid them.
Copyright 2013 by Post-Newsweek Stations. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed