Four years ago, Tommy Gregory unseated a long-time sheriff of Camden County. Now, Bill Smith is running to get the job back.
Both are Republicans and there is no Democrat in the race, so the winner of the July 31 primary will serve run the Sheriff's Office for the next four years.
Tommy Gregory candidate questionnaire:
FAMILY: Wife, Jodi; 4 adult children and two grandchildren
OCCUPATION: Sheriff of Camden County
EDUCATION: Georgia Military College – Criminal Justice, AS
POLITICAL EXPERIENCE: 4 years elected sheriff; 29 years working law enforcement; 20 years serving on multiple, service, community and non-profit/charitable organizations as a voting board member.
WHAT DO YOU SEE AS THE TOP THREE ISSUES IN THIS RACE?
- "Continue to provide professional, proactive publicly safety that our taxpayers can afford.
- "Maintaining our public image of Pride, Trust and Accountability.
- "Continue to have a working Sheriff with the Knowledge, Ability and the Willingness to “Show Up” and be “Hands On” to navigate through these hard economic times successfully."
HOW DO YOU THINK YOU CAN HELP VOTERS IN A WAY OTHERS IN THIS RACE CAN'T?
- "During the last four years I have demonstrated and I will continue to run a full service professional Sheriff’s Office in a manner our citizens can be proud of, While working with a greatly reduced budget. I will continue to be 'Taxpayers Best Friend, Criminals Worst Enemy.'"
WHAT WOULD YOU HOPE TO BE REMEMBERED FOR ACCOMPLISHING AFTER SERVING IN THIS OFFICE?
- Restored Public Trust and Accountability
- Restored Integrity to the Office of Sheriff
- Successfully had his agency reinstated back in the Department Of Justice Seized Asset Program.
- Co-founded the Camden County Criminal Justice Coordinating Council.
- Ability to work well with all Federal, State and local officials for the common good of our citizens.
- A Good Sheriff and a proven plan.