Georgia's 1st Congressional District covers 15 counties of Southeast Georgia, including all five counties in Channel 4's viewing area.
Democrats Lesli Rae Messinger won a primary challenge in July 31 primary for the right to face 10-term Republican Congressman Jack Kingston for his seat in U.S. House District 1 in the November General Election.
Messinger was the only candidate to make a video statement for WJXT.
FAMILY: Wife Libby; 4 children
CAMPAIGN WEBSITE: JackKingston.org
Kingston is seeking his 11th term representing the congressional district representing all of Coastal Georgia.
This candidate has not returned WJXT/News4Jax.com's candidate survey.
Lesli Rae Messinger
FAMILY: Husband Nathan Messinger, four stepdaughters and two sons
EDUCATION: High school
POLITICAL EXPERIENCE: Worked for Gore-Lieberman Campaign in 2000. Worked for Hillary Clinton for President 2007-08, Obama-Biden 2008. Guardian ad Litem - certified by the Ohio courts child advocacy programs executive committee member. Pikaway (Ohio) County Public Schools editor of the Parent-Child League for Madison County, Ohio, hospital system. Drug abuse counselor; national advocate and activist lobbying Congress and federal agencies to improve funding for drug aAbuse and prevention programs for our nation's schools. Personally funded programs to feed and clothe children in Savannah neighborhoods -- 2009, 2010 and 2011.
WHAT DO YOU SEE AS THE TOP THREE ISSUES IN THIS RACE?
- Economic recovery to restore America's middle class
- Expanding Economic opportunity and jobs in the region in the region especially to assist veterans and jobless
- Protection for Social Security, Medicare, benefits to the unemployed and assistance to working families
HOW DO YOU THINK YOU CAN HELP VOTERS IN A WAY OTHERS IN THIS RACE CAN'T?
- "I have worked in charitable enterprises in the District and have learned about the needs not being met. I am committed to standing up for those most vulnerable in the current bad economic climate."
WHAT WOULD YOU HOPE TO BE REMEMBERED FOR ACCOMPLISHING AFTER SERVING IN THIS OFFICE?
- "I hope to be remembered for championing securing help for veterans, the longterm jobless, assisting people in keeping entitlements they've worked for for a lifetime, and expanding access to the American promise, of a home, a job, and self-sufficiency."
WEBSITE: Messinger4Congress.com | TWITTER: @Lesli4Congress