Scheibe said she first met Zimmerman more than 12 years ago when she was in her late teens -- before Zimmerman was married to Shellie. Scheibe says they dated for a short time.

Even though their relationship didn't work out at that time, Scheibe says she was a constant friend to George -- and to Shellie -- throughout their marriage.

When the relationship between George and Shellie started to sour, Scheibe says she stepped in to "be there" for George as a friend, and it was during that time a romance began to kindle.

She echoed a sentiment about Zimmerman that many testified about during his trial: George was a nice, warm man and would help you with whatever you needed help with.

He was "Georgie," she said.

Scheibe says George and Shellie's relationship had soured by February 2012.

On February 26 -- the night of the shooting -- she says Shellie and George had gotten into a heated argument. Shellie had left to spend the night elsewhere, and that’s why she wasn’t home when the shooting happened.

Talk of divorce had already started, she says.

The trial

During his murder trial, George and Shellie shared a home owned by Shellie's parents in Lake Mary.

While they arrived and departed the courthouse together everyday, Schiebe says they were not "a couple," in the traditional sense. Shellie and George were living very separate lives, not speaking much even though they continued to live together, she says.

Even though his parents testified on his behalf during the trial, George didn't speak much with his parents, she says.

Scheibe says after the jury returned a not guilty verdict on all charges stemming from the shooting of Trayvon Martin, George began to change.

When the media fervor surrounding him went away, she and her mother say Zimmerman spiraled into what she calls a very deep depression. She said doctors prescribed medication to help him with the bouts of sadness and despair he was feeling, but he got to a point where he stopped taking it.

She says George would spend days in bed, refusing to get up and refusing to take his medication. She claims the depression got worse.

Scheibe says there was time when she walked into his bedroom, and she saw an empty bottle of sleeping pills on his sidetable. She claims he overdosed. She wasn't able to revive him and watched his breathing.

When he finally did wake up, he started crying and eventually put a gun inside his mouth, telling her he was ready to end it all. She says she talked him out of it.

Scheibe says Zimmerman threatened to take his own life on more than one occasion, and she says the threats seem to come about when he was not one of the news headlines.

She says she believes Zimmerman enjoyed the attention he was getting in the news, while also knowing he wasn't able to carve out a "normal existence" if he was always a headline.

Also after the verdict, Scheibe said Zimmerman formed an inseparable bond with his dog, Oso. Zimmerman wouldn't go anywhere Oso couldn't go at a moment's notice, which is why he drove virtually everywhere he went, including Texas, where he again made headlines after being pulled over in a traffic stop by police.