JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -

Firefighters said a space heater caught a bed on fire, while a family was sleeping in a home in Northwest Jacksonville early Monday morning.

Jacksonville Fire Rescue was notified of a fire to a home on 5724 Kinlock Drive South near Manhattan Drive just before 5 a.m. Monday morning.

According to JFRD, the fire spread throughout the bedroom, but a mother and son were were able to get out.

The mom was transported to UF Health for smoke-related breathing problems.  No other injuries were reported.

The State Fire Marshal was on scene, investigating the fire Monday morning.

The Red Cross is assisting the family.