Fireworks and celebrations go hand in hand, especially for the 4th of July, but despite all the fun they can still cause eye injuries, burns, and fires.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, U.S. emergency rooms treated over 8,000 people for firework related injuries in 2010 and the risk was higher for children ages five to fourteen.
Fireworks burn at 2,000 degrees, which is as hot as a blow torch. To stay safe, avoid buying one’s packaged in brown paper because it’s a sign that they are for professional displays only.
Legal fireworks will have a label with the manufacturer’s name on it, illegal ones are unlabeled. They usually go by the name M-80 or salutes. They were banned in the 1960’s, but can still be bought.
If your child does injure their eyes due to fireworks, don’t allow your child to touch or rub them because it could cause even more damage.
Also, never flush the eye out with water or attempt to put ointment on it. If they burn themselves, remove their clothing from the burned area and run cool, not cold water, over the burn and do not ice.