JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A house fire on the Northside was the result of a lightning strike late Wednesday morning, according to the Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department.
Spokesman Tom Francis said lightning struck a tree in the yard of a home on Ringneck Drive, traveled along the root system and entered the house through the air conditioner.
The surge fried wiring and caused a fire in a bedroom, doing about $12,000 in damage.
There was one person home who noticed the electrical odor. That person was not injured.
Firefighters rescued a cat from the home.
Copyright 2013 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.