A house fire on the Northside was the result of a lightning strike late Wednesday morning, according to the Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department.
Spokesman Tom Francis said lightning struck a tree in the yard of a home on Ringneck Drive, traveled along the root system and entered the house through the air conditioner.
The surge fried wiring and caused a fire in a bedroom, doing about $12,000 in damage.
There was one person home who noticed the electrical odor. That person was not injured.
Firefighters rescued a cat from the home.